Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Strange white substance?



See that strange white substance there in the hole of our "natural" backyard fence? Don't call the cops - it's salt!! Bermuda is home to a large breed of nocturnal toad, which kindly secretes a solution that's deadly poisonous to dogs and cats when it feels attacked...you know, like if a dog was chasing it...

A little over a week ago, I spotted one of these buggers in the area of the yard where the dogs do their business. Since Dave is chief in charge of pest control, this assignment was his domain. So far he has:

(a) Caught the thing in a bucket, took the bucket way down the street and dumped him out. (Dave has this thing about being kind to all creatures, great and small). Unfortunately, later that day, the bugger was back in the same.freaking.spot, glaring at me with his beady little eyes.

(b) Found the toad's nearby nocturnal hideaway hole in the ground and peered inside, only to find the toad staring at him. The toad was subsequently shut into his hole with a good amount of dirt. Apparently he had sufficiently aroused the ire of Dave, such that suffocation was deemed a viable option.

Of course, however, two days later the damn thing appeared the hole pictured here in the backyard wall in the same bloody area where the dogs do their business. In discussing these vermin with my admin assistant (a local), I was advised that I should put salt on its back. Although she indicated this would bring about the sucker's demise, I have no idea if there is actually any merit to this theory. However, when I spied that bugger taunting me in that cave in the broad daylight of Sunday afternoon, I made a beeline for the salt. I glared at him with my beady little eyes and poured a good half cup of table salt on his back. He barely flinched. A few minutes later, he stood up, shook most of the salt off and toddled off back in the direction of his previously shut-in hole. I sent Dave over there with the bucket and instructions to catch him and throw him in the ocean, but the elusive little bugger had vanished. Thankfully, though, there's been no sign of him since...although I've probably just jinxed myself by posting this tale.

Deets: f/2.8, 1/50, 27mm, ISO400

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails