Thursday, February 18, 2010

Escape Artist



After the last two evenings, I'll be nervous to come home tomorrow. Although, tonight it was the other dog giving me grief...so maybe the show is over now? Or, maybe things come in threes?

As I dismounted the Vespa tonight, I noted a pointy, wet brown nose peering at me through the front door window. I think my jaw dropped. Backstory: we have two dogs (a Boston Terrier and a Beagle) and we crate them when we aren't home. (I know some people are against crating...but it's the best option for all involved.) There should not be any wet noses greeting me at the door. A wet Beagle nose is particularly concerning because the Beagle attached to that nose is a t.r.o.u.b.l.e-maker. When we first "rescued" her, she'd escaped several conventional crate assemblies. After several iterations, we'd arrived at the wire crate combo, with the additional security of two carabiners. Sounds like overkill, but clearly it is not per today's evidence. Over the past many months, we've become a bit lackadaisical about locking both carabiners in addition to the latch that actually is part of the crate; we've only been clipping the top carabiner, figuring the space at the bottom was far to small for a Beagle to sneak through. She is over 20 lbs, after all.

My mind races as I scramble to unlock the door and prevent the Beagle from escaping at the same time. I went back to work after lunch around 2:30 (lunch was delayed!). It is now just after 7 (coming home was delayed). That is quite a span of time. The Beagle has had the run of the house for God knows how long. The couch stuffing could be all over the living room. Whatever was on the dining table or kitchen counter could be all over the floor (the Beagle has remarkable leaping skills). There could be animal waste on the bed. Why the hell is this all happening while Dave is in Canada?!

After putting the dogs outside, I searched the house for carnage. Surprisingly, I have yet to unearth any! Perhaps she'd just escaped? Perhaps she was having a leisurely nap on the couch? Perhaps she's more well behaved than we think? Or, perhaps the damage is hiding and I'll uncover it in the coming days and wonder WTF went on.

...the longest Project 365 post is now over.

Deets: f/1.4, 1/250, ISO1600

3 comments:

  1. Who needs kids when you have dogs that act like kids! heh I like this photo. Nice composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Beagles . . .
    Great photo. Glad there were no surprises when you arrived home. I'm almost amazed at her skills of escaping from the crate. Thank goodness mine haven't done that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!!! I have two beagles (one 12 years and one 11 months) and crates are a part of our lives just as brushing our teeth is. So glad there is no blatent damage and hopefully nothing will be found later. However, you must set up a camera pointed on that crate so you can figure out how the heck Houdini got out!

    Christina, thanks for the heads up on this post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails